Tuesday, February 9, 2010

New Tests

We had a visiting artist that past couple days so it has been nice to watch how someone else works. Her name was Jennifer Allen and she makes some nice pots with decorations. I fired my cone 6 work this past weekend and tried some fiberglassing as well. The fiberglass was interesting, although I don't know if my initial ideas or creating images similar to lithophanes is possible, or at least the way I am going about it.


These are some of my best examples from my cone 6 tile firing. The translucency wasn't as good as the low fire tests I did before, but I still got a decent amount that could be useful in certain applications. Jennifer Allen particularly liked the third one down with the Merrill Lynch bull. I do think there are some nice compositional elements as well as satire in that piece. I don't know if the layering works as well with this clay body, although the images in the back are faded out nicely. The image on the bottom was the cone 6 casting slip I used last semester for my lithophanes. I assembled a small piece out of one of my lithophanes imaging putting a light inside and having it viewed from the outside, but I think it had a very nice effect looking through that small hole. There's too many possibilities! I just need to figure out what seems most urgent to complete right now I guess. More to come soon...





No comments:

Post a Comment