Sunday, April 8, 2012

SAIC Spring Semester So Far...

This is what I've been up to in Spring semester. I am taking an advanced litho class which has been great. We've been doing aluminum plate, photo litho and experimenting with pronto plates and paper plate. I'm also in a critique seminar with Hamza Walker which has been a great learning experience and an opportunity to get feedback on my work from some different perspectives. My art history class has been great as well. It is a history of prints since 1950 and these are my favorite artists (Rauschenberg, Johns, Polke, Roth, etc.). I've also wandered back to ceramics this semester and I will be adding more pictures of that as I finish that up! I feel like I've put in a lot of work and I'm happy with what I've produced so far.
This is my ceramics piece right before I put it in the kiln. This is my thin, low-fire, self-glazing, translucent clay. I wasn't happy with how the first firing went so I just went wild on it. Length is about 7 feet give or take. I will find out how it turned out tomorrow. These are underglazes and some stains. The next images are several variations using two hand litho plates. Trying different ink combinations and even used a gray paper on the lighter rainbow one.


This next image is aluminum foil, sort of a sculptural image using the diagram for a car exhaust system. These are photo litho plates I made from a drawing and then I write in whatever I want on the signs. The saying so far are coming from a party story that is down the road from my home in Michigan. I have many different variations and plan to end up with a ton of these.
More of my interest in what I guess you would call the "low brow" culture using the beer stuff. These are just a couple things I had to do to see what they look like. I don't know if I will ever actually do anything with these. The first is a marker drawing 30 x 22 and the second is a painting on canvas with sharpie about 5 feet by 3 feet. This last one I did yesterday. It's a monotype using litho ink. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with it. I may add some more elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment